A Vintage Mobile Sportsman Trailer

Information about my vintage 1948 Mobile Sportsman trailer.

Saturday, November 06, 2004

The New Steel Frame

Here it is, the brand new custom made frame!

I redesigned the new frame to save a future owner the same troubles the original had caused, and added enough length to the tongue to prevent those nasty dents caused by turning too sharply.


The old frame was made from two "c" sections of steel spot welded together, okay for strength, but a poor design that held moisture.

The new frame was wire wheeled,cleaned well with solvent, and received 4 coats of paint.

I had a friend who is a certified welder build the frame, taking much care in leaving no openings for moisture to get in.

The old frame also relied on a 2 x 4 for the outside support, we went with the same plan, but added an 1/8" plate around the outside for extra rigidity, then bolted a treated, and well painted 2 x 4 to the plate.




1 Comments:

  • At January 12, 2006 at 5:02 AM, Blogger Greg said…

    http://2rcs.comgarage building and garage building Ideas for Home Construction projects. If you own a home and need to work on garage building then al I want to say is Yea.... I wood love to let you in on a secret about home repairs... People ask me all the time about garage building and they want to know simple ways to solve ther problems ...well I have the answers and If you go to http://2rcs.com garage building and go through the site you will find what you are looking for... what can I say butt get going ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home