A Vintage Mobile Sportsman Trailer

Information about my vintage 1948 Mobile Sportsman trailer.

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Deciding Which Color Stain

With the framing completed, and interior paneling installed, attention was turned toward staining, and varnishing.


I wanted the interior to have a "golden glow", of course there is no stain by that name, so I mixed my own, it took a few tries, but I got exactly what I wanted.

I chose a Danish oil finish for ease of application, and because it penetrates well.

Danish oil dries to an almost varnish like surface, giving more protection than stain alone.

After the three coats of stain were dry, I applied a 75/25 mix of oil varnish (thinned to give good penetration) after which I applied 4 coats of full strength varnish, with a light sanding between coats.

As the final top coat, I chose two coats of spar varnish, it is very thick and difficult to apply, but gives a glass like appearance to the wood.



0 Comments:

<< Home